Drug rehab in Calgary, Alberta, includes some residential and outpatient programs, hospital inpatient services, detox clinics, and 12-step meetings. Drugrehab.ca provides a directory listing of some of these services.
Our professional counselors help you find drug and alcohol addiction treatment in Calgary. When you first contact us, we gather information and refer you to appropriate resources in the city. In addition to our directory services, Alberta Health Services provides information for Calgarians with substance use disorders.
We also recommend searching for substance use treatment outside the Calgary area or even in another province. It has proven beneficial and successful in escaping from the current environment and focusing on recovery. Our qualified professionals can help you find help in the city, province, or any other region of Canada.
List of Rehabs in Calgary, Alberta
The information below will help you to find drug rehab centers in Calgary, Alberta. The list could be incomplete, so if you have any questions, please don't hesitate to contact us at 1-877-254-3348.
Calgary Detox Centers
Treatment for drug & alcohol addiction often begins with detox, which is the process of helping toxins leave the body while managing withdrawal symptoms. A detoxification program in Calgary is usually divided into three main steps:
- Transition to treatment
It is an extremely important part of overcoming the addiction because continued substance use can lead the body to become physically dependent on it, and abruptly quitting these substances can lead to extreme withdrawal symptoms. Once the detoxification process is completed, it means the person is ready to move on to the rest of their treatment, either through an inpatient or outpatient program in Calgary. Here is some additional information on those two main forms of treatment:
- An inpatient program is, in most cases, the most effective approach to treatment. It offers a safe & supervised environment where their only focus can be their recovery and sobriety. Long-term residential programs are the most common, as they allow more time for the person to address all dynamics of their addiction.
- For certain people, pausing their life for an extended period is not a possibility. In such cases, an outpatient program is an ideal choice. It gives them a chance to get the help they need while still maintaining a job and being able to take care of their family.
Substance Use Statistics and Information for Calgary, AB
The Canadian Center on Substance Abuse (CCSA) conducted a survey on 1,063 health care practitioners, including nurses, pharmacists, dentists, and physicians. Here are some of the findings that came out of that survey:
- 26% of HCPs felt that they were adequately supported to identify, prevent or address prescription drug misuse.
- They reported that they lacked access to effective screening tools in order to pinpoint prescription drug misuse.
- They also said that the difficulties they have with preventing & addressing PDM included a lack of efficient and effective communication amongst HCPs, a lack of access to data systems, and not enough education on the subjects of addiction, substance use, and pain management.
According to Alberta's COVID-19 Opioid Response Surveillance Report:
- In the first 6 months of 2020, Calgary saw 148 apparent unintentional drug poisoning deaths involving fentanyl, making it the highest count for municipalities in Alberta.
- For this same period, 35% of all hospitalizations related to opioids and other drug use occurred in the Calgary Zone.
- During the first quarter of 2020, the Calgary Zone had the highest number of emergency department visits related to opioids and other drug use, accounting for 34% of all provincial visits.
As we can see, substance use has caused a lot of harm in the Calgary community. Therefore, it is essential that anyone struggling with an addiction to drugs or alcohol seeks out help. Regardless of the situation, you may find yourself in, there is a treatment program in the city that is right for you. If you need assistance for yourself or a loved one, look through our directory or take a moment to call one of our certified counselors.